Critical reflection

USC 1001 Journey and What I've learned

Throughout my journey in USC 1001, I set out to enhance my ability to express and communicate emotions, articulate my thoughts more effectively, and improve my command of the English language. This course has been an enriching experience, brimming with engaging in-class activities that pushed me out of my comfort zone and fostered communication with my peers. Each lesson presented new and challenging tasks aimed at honing our communication and writing skills. I am proud to say that I have achieved my goals through this module, as I can now confidently convey my thoughts and ideas while witnessing a noticeable improvement in my English proficiency.

Initially, my mindset was geared towards giving my best effort, recognizing that USC 1001 is a mandatory module and acknowledging that English is not my strongest suit. To make the most of the situation, I began reading reports more frequently, strategizing on how to convey messages efficiently to friends, and diligently reviewing feedback to pinpoint areas for improvement.

Reflecting on my experience, I realize there are aspects I could have handled better, such as asking more questions when confused or seeking clarification from the professor. There were instances where I chose to remain silent, attempting to decipher the intended message, which sometimes led to missing out on crucial information. I acknowledge this tendency and commit to improving my proactive approach to seeking clarity.

Our team, Invictus, was a blend of diverse individuals with varying educational backgrounds and language proficiencies. Recognizing the need for effective leadership, I assumed the role of group leader due to my prior experience in this capacity, which was met with the team's agreement. Initially, we faced challenges across various aspects such as research, workload management, and motivation. To address these issues, I took proactive steps to organize our tasks, referring to the schedule to ensure timely delivery of quality work while balancing each member's workload.

Before undertaking this project, I had not fully embraced qualities like empathy, result orientation, and meticulous time management. In previous scenarios, if a team member lagged behind, I would often take on their responsibilities to meet deadlines, prioritizing my completion efficiency over their learning process. However, this project marked a shift in my approach. I adopted a patient stance, allowing teammates to contribute at their own pace before the set deadlines. This adjustment proved beneficial, as it empowered team members to actively engage, learn, and contribute meaningfully. It taught me the value of flexibility in leadership and the importance of nurturing a collaborative environment where every member's growth is prioritized.

This experience highlighted the multitude of approaches available in tackling challenges, emphasizing that there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Rushing or exerting continuous pressure can sometimes yield counterproductive results. Instead, fostering a supportive and inclusive team culture leads to enhanced productivity and individual development.

Regarding the new skills acquired in USC 1001, I plan to maintain and refine them through consistent practice. It is essential to uphold these valuable skills to ensure continued growth and proficiency in English, critical thinking, and effective communication.

In summary, my journey in USC 1001 has been incredibly rewarding, significantly boosting my confidence in the English language, critical thinking abilities, and communication skills.




Comments

  1. Thank you very much, James, for this detailed and insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts